Article by: Radha Govindarajan, Finance Professional.
Layoffs can be unexpected, whether it’s just you who is being laid off or your entire team. The reasons for a layoff are several ranging from cost cutting measures undertaken by companies to the advent of Artificial Intelligence. In fact, the current scenario is called the fourth Industrial Revolution.
Whatever may be the reason, a sudden loss of job can be overwhelming and depressing. Here are some of the steps to get back on your feet again.
- Stop feeling guilty: Women tend to be very critical of themselves. So stop the feeling of guilt in its tracks. Losing the job is not your fault. Companies cut workforce for several reasons. There is nothing personal against any individual. Keep this is in mind.
- Mobilize your finances: Look at the savings in your Bank. Also ensure, you get all your settlement from your Company like layoff compensation, gratuity etc. The PF can be withdrawn after two months of unemployment and can be transferred to another organization on acquiring a new job.
- Part-time job: Try to look for a part time or work from home job. This will keep some money flowing and do wonders to your self-esteem.
- Take care of yourself: Sudden loss of employment can lead to anxiety. Try yoga or deep breathing exercises to keep your wandering thoughts at bay. If possible, maintain a diary to write down your thoughts so that you do not keep mulling over them.
- Exercise: Exercising releases endorphins, which is a feel good hormone. So go for a brisk walk or hit the treadmill
- Sleep and eat healthy: Do not gorge on all the goodies in the fridge. Try to eat healthy, maintain a routine and get at least seven hours of sleep.
- Update your resume: Do not immediately rush into the first job that you get. Take some time off, update your resume and upload it on job portals.
- Get in touch with your network: Let your contacts and colleagues know that you are actively seeking a job. Most of the job openings in companies are filled through referrals. Therefore, networking is very important at this stage.
- Laugh and stay in touch with friends: Socialize with your friends and do not sulk. Apart from lifting the mood, this can also open up new opportunities.
- Upskill and Reskill: In case you have wanted to change your line of job, this is a good time. Enroll for a short-term online course. If you want to continue in your current line of job, try to enhance your skills.
With these measures, in no time you will land yourself a new job. Therefore, women, keep your chin up and be ready to face the world again with your million-dollar smile! 🙂